Civil Litigation Lawyer Regina - When a business goes through financial problems, it is important to choose the correct group to assist your business through the necessary processes. These can consist of bankruptcies, business restructuring and insolvencies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of skill to be able to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide representation and recommendation, leading to timely, efficient, and strategic solutions.
Our clients come from numerous different enterprises within industries like biomedical, airline, automotive, entertainment, communications, construction, financial services, healthcare, funeral, marketing, insurance, manufacturing, technology, steel, mining, natural resources, real estate and retail. Our lawyers can assist you with the complexities of cross-border proceedings administered under either the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We have extensive experience with domestic and multi-national business reorganizations and restructuring, whether informal or court-supervised. Bankruptcy and Insolvency restructuring legislation in Canada and the U.S. have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; however, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need people involved in cross-border procedures to be knowledgeable concerning both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries in a lot of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA").
Timely access to the required experts can tip the scales in favour of a positive result throughout insolvency and business restructuring. Our group draws upon the breadth and depth of different skilled members within our global business in all legal fields connected to business reorganizations. Our firm has professionals in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, labour and employment, private and public equity, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before appellate and trial courts, our team provides experienced litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders comprise the following:
1. We help those financially challenged companies about the options and alternatives of restructuring, which comprises the creating and directing of formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. We offer advice to boards of directors and special/independent committees of public and private corporations about companies in financial distress.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring proceedings, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, bondholders, trust indentures trustees, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring procedures, we advise the formal and ad-hoc creditors committees.
5. We can assist the numerous secured creditors in the insolvency procedures, about the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests.
6. We advise trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators, monitors, receivers, interim receivers, construction lien trustees and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures and proposals under the BIA, consisting of receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. In relation to insolvent or defaulting debtors, we advise equipment lessors and vendors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency realizations and proceedings.
8. We advise purchasers obtaining distressed assets or businesses in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We assist investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. In the context of insolvency, business restructuring and bankruptcy cases, we provide counsel could various litigation problems.
11.We can prosecute and defend in preference actions and litigating actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the obtaining of urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, such as injunctions, mareva injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf